Saturday, April 20, 2013
Interview with Michael Whetzel
Book Title: The Pied Piper of the Undead
The Pied Piper of the Undead (Amazon)
1. How long have you been writing for?
I have been writing since I was very young. I began self-publishing on Jan 2012.
2. What do you think sets your work apart from others in the genre?
I focus heavily on characters. I especially like examining the changes someone goes through before and after a world altering event i.e. alien invasion or zombie apocalypse. How different are they? Do they change their fundamental core values? Their beliefs?
3. Do you have any tips for new writers?
Write write write and write some more. Always strive to get better. Read your peers and be aware of what everyone is doing. Always be supportive to others and grateful to those who support you.
4. What books do you read and do you have a recent recommendation?
I love horror, sc-fi, fantasy and comics. Currently I'm reading Haruki Murakami's 1Q84. It is pretty wacky and epic. I recommend anything by him. For the horror genre, check out Joe Lansdale. One of the most underrated voices I've enjoyed.
I'm also enjoying the Morning Glories and Manhattan Projects comic books.
5. Where can readers find you?
They can find all my books on the Amazon store. My website is www.michaelwhetzel.com. I also founded the iFiction! writing co-op with Everette Bell. We release quality short stories and serials for the Kindle.
Zombie Survival Questions
1. You see a hand gun, a bat and a knife. Which do you choose as your weapon for the apocalypse?
A bat never runs out of bullets. Never. Ever. Plus I hit .485 my last year playing ball.
2. Place of survival. Your own house, a shopping mall or The Winchester pub?
Winchester Pub. Good pork skins.
3. You see an underground parking centre. Do you go in?
Hell no. Nothing ever good came out of an underground parking lot. Even before the zombie apocalypse.
4. You see your boss is now a zombie but is no immediate threat to you. Do you still use your last bullet on him/her?
"This is for all the times you made me work on the weekends. Jerk."
5. What luxury item would you keep in the apocalypse?
I would go nuts without a toothbrush. Or Q-tips for my ears. Or a shower.
6. You're bitten, do you
A) Shoot yourself before you turn?
B) Ask a friend to do it?
C) Turn and enjoy the all you can eat human buffet?
Eh, screw it, I'm eating everybody. :)