Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Interview with Julie Ann Dawson editor of Return of the Dead Men (and Women) Walking



Name: Julie Ann Dawson

Book Title: Return of the Dead Men (and Women) Walking (editor)

Author Questions

1.   How long have you been writing for?
I started writing when I was 13. I came across a copy of ‘Salem’s Lot in my high school library. I remember thinking “I can do that!” Been chasing that dream ever since.

2.   What do you think sets your work apart from others in the genre?
My work is very character-driven. Very little is black and white. Everyone’s motivations have these various shades of gray.

3.   Do you have any tips for new writers?
If you want to be a writer, you must read. Too many writers don’t actually read. And when I say read, I mean read everything. Read the classics of your genre. Read works in genres you don’t like. Read non-fiction. Read biographies. Read everything you can, because if you don’t read widely you end up with a very narrow literary memory and your work will suffer for it.

4.   What books do you read and do you have a recent recommendation?
I’ve been reading a lot of non-fiction recently. I just finished reading an advanced galley of The Men Who Lost America. It’s an overview of the American Revolutionary War from the perspective of the British leaders who tried to keep America in the empire. The last fiction title I read that I would recommend was Brian Kittrell’s The Circle of Sorcerers.

5.   Where can readers find you?
My main website is bardsandsages.com. That’s pretty much Ground Zero for everything I’ve got my hands in.

Zombie Survival Questions


1.   You see a hand gun, a bat and a knife. Which do you choose as your weapon for the apocalypse?
First, I need to clarify that I don’t survive the Zombie Apocalypse because I’m a zombiephobe. I can’t deal with zombie movies and I even get freaked out seeing commercials sometimes for The Walking Dead. Yeah, I realize that makes no sense for someone who puts together zombie anthologies. But my kid sister loves zombies, and she wanted me to dedicate zombie anthologies to her. So I sacrifice sleep for her.
As far as my weapon for the Apocalypse, I have to say “none of the above.” Assuming there is a zombie apocalypse AND assuming that my heart doesn’t explode and I actually survive (which should not be a foregone conclusion), I’m totally claiming Daryl Dixon as my weapon of choice. I win the apocalypse with Daryl.

2.    Place of survival. Your own house, a shopping mall or The Winchester pub?
My house would be the worst because I have this huge bay window. And my dog sits in the window and barks at everything, which means he’s a big alarm for the zombies. And I hate malls. A pub would be cool until the liquor ran out, which could happen pretty fast depending on how many people get the same idea.
My sister, however, has given a lot of thought to a zombie survival plan and says the best place to go would be the National Guard armory nearby. My dad use to be in charge there, so she figures the guys will let her in. I think she would make sure her big sister was let in, too. Particularly if I found Daryl and had him with me. She’s a big fan of the show.

3.   You see an underground parking centre. Do you go in?
Heeeeelllllllll noooooooooo.

4.   You see your boss is now a zombie but is no immediate threat to you. Do you still use your last bullet on him/her?
My last bullet? No. I might point and laugh, though.

5.   What luxury item would you keep in the apocalypse?
Soap.

6.   You're bitten, do you
A)   Shoot yourself before you turn?
B)   Ask a friend to do it?
C)   Turn and enjoy the all you can eat human buffet?

Do I have Daryl? Because going out with a crossbow bolt to the head would be the way to go. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure my sister would be happy to shoot me. She’s affectionate that way.




1 comment:

  1. I think The Walking Dead may have booked up Daryl calendar if the zombies... i mean when the zombies arrive.

    ReplyDelete