Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Interview with Ian McClellan


Name: Ian McClellan

Book Title:

Zombie/Apocalypse 2012: A Political Horror Story


Writer Questions

1.      How long have you been writing for?

Since I was seven or eight. I'm thirty-five now. I used to write little stories about my brothers and sisters that made them look ridiculous. It pissed them off something terrible. My mother, God bless her, never admonished or discouraged me. She'd just read them and say, "Oh, Ian, do try to be a little more flattering toward your siblings in any future stories."


2.      What do you think sets your work apart from others in the genre?

To my knowledge, I don't think anyone has taken such a close look at the potential political implications of a zombie outbreak. I hope that's because no one has ever thought to do so and not because the idea is terrible. Oh well, no going back now. I'm really snarky. I'm working on something now that is much more of a serious zombie novel (not that my first isn't, there's just a ton of political and social satire in there with the story) but there is still a lot of snark thrown in. I can't help it. It's my nature.

3.      Do you have any tips for new writers?

Not really a tip, but a heads up. If you decide to self-publish you should know that the hard part comes after the book is out. Promoting is brutal and time consuming. If it's an option, try to save up a few bucks and hire a professional so you can stick to writing.

4.      What books do you read and do you have a recent recommendation?

 Funny, I've always read horror and have loved zombie movies since I was a kid, but never read zombie books until recently. Also, I've been trying to go the indie route more. I just didn't really know it was there before. I've been dabbling a little in fantasy because of some friend recommendations. There's some decent stuff out there and some awful stuff, like everything else. I also read political books from a wide variety of authors. It's important to get different perspectives on the issues. I'd rather read a book with a conflicting opinion on something than one that supports my own. I know what my opinion is and why I have it. That's a huge part of the problems we have today- no one wants to hear what the other side has to say.
I liked Sven the Zombie Slayer by Guy James quite a bit. Really good story, lots of dry humor, and fantastic characters.

5.      Where can readers find you?

More often than not at work, unfortunately.
My home page. You'll find all the pertinent links there, and some other good stuff, as well.
http://politicalhorrorstory.weebly.com/index.html

Zombie Survival Questions


1.      You see a hand gun, a bat and a knife. Which do you choose as your weapon for the apocalypse?

I'd say the bat. I like distance between me and anything that wants to eat me, which rules out the knife. I own a couple of hand guns, but I'm not a great shot and bullets won't last forever.

2.       Place of survival. Your own house, a shopping mall or The Winchester pub?

Wow, that's a tough one. My house might work. I live in Florida and have hurricane shutters. They should keep out the undead, but once they're up I only have one way in or out. As much as I love beer, The Winchester is a bad idea. Too many big windows. I hate malls. I guess I'll have to be a homebody in the event of a zombie apocalypse.

3.      You see an underground parking centre. Do you go in?

No way. Those places are creepy even under normal circumstances.

4.      You see your boss is now a zombie but is no immediate threat to you. Do you still use your last bullet on him/her?

I like my boss. My job is hard, but I work with a lot of great people. Even if I never write for a living full-time, I'd be fine where I am.

5.      What luxury item would you keep in the apocalypse?

Probably my Kindle. There are a lot of books on there and I'll need something to keep me entertained. Now that I think about it, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I could finally catch up on some reading.

6.      You’re bitten, do you
A)    Shoot yourself before you turn?
B)    Ask a friend to do it?
C)    Turn and enjoy the all you can eat human buffet?

Definitely B. I want to live as much life as I can without turning.

No comments:

Post a Comment